Thursday, March 17, 2011

onward

"I think that life would suddenly seem wonderful to us if we were threatened to die as you say. Just think of how many projects, travels, love affairs, studies, it -our life- hides from us, made invisible by our laziness which, certain of a future, delays them incessantly."
                                                                                                                -Proust
___________

The Joslyn Museum is free on Saturday mornings from 10-12. I often use that time to wander around the galleries and watch people look at art. Sometimes, I watch these same people watch each other. I like when that happens.

In between, I sit down with little kids and help them piece together tangrams, or I draw with them, or ask them questions. I introduce myself and shake their hand and wonder about the big ideas and big adventures that are housed inside these teensy people.

it's so simple. it's so complicated.

We talk about the shapes that make up their tangram puzzles, and when we get to the parallelogram we say that word together and laugh because it's a mouthful.
But all that matters is that it's something new, and they tried, and they had fun trying, so they'll probably try again... whatever it is.

We should all laugh, shrug it off, and try again.
Don't you agree?
___________

This forever-on-hold-book-project that I keep mulling over is finally ready to go. I made a call to my friend Jenni Brant, who is the director at Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts (a great place with a great residency for you art people out there) and asked if a letterpress was available to use: "Why, yes it is!"

So I'll be visiting Nebraska City in the coming weeks to freshen up on my letterpress skills -or lack thereof. 
___________

And while a thousand things have happened in the past 3.5 weeks, 
I'll just share the latest 16 mm highlight:

The Owl

...and the Pussycat



No comments:

Post a Comment